Boston 2014 Finish

Boston 2014 Finish

Monday, January 2, 2012

The 7 month count down

...or 200 days if you will. Yes, just 4,800 measly little hours (give or take) separate me from the starting line of Lake Placid. 28 weeks. And a whole lot of running, swimming, and biking.

For New Year's I resolved to keep a cleaner house, eat less meat and more local, blog every Monday, and do my best to dig real deep and find my inner A type in an effort to be more organized and get more done. 40 hours later, our house is clean(ish), I'm blogging on a Monday!(late night and will probably post Tuesday morning), and I ate local pig for dinner last night. Summoning my inner A type personality however: like squeezing water from a rock. I had cleaned my band room one day over break, and thought that with a clean desk and newly organized room all things were possible. By lunch time, piles that only I understand (but that in my defense I can always find anything in) a bazillion tiny to do post it notes lining my computer screen, and the dust of chicken feed (that's a long story, but suffice it to say that I do not own chickens) on my right pant leg. Ah well.

In the hopes I'll stick to my Monday blogging resolution, this should be the last entry until July that I have to summarize numerous weeks in one post. It's been a fun filled and (phew, I am still a runner!) running filled five weeks.

With the month of December came the resurrection of a little more serious mileage, and it felt great. Tough at first, but great. Knowing I had to start training in all three disciplines come January, I focused on getting back to my usual runner self in December. 50 and change mile weeks, 204 for the month and I feel back on track. The best part of the running month was undoubtedly the Sunday morning long run company. I've missed those group long runs so much, and had forgotten how much easier and more enjoyable long runs are with friends. Two 15's and a New Year's day 14 with great company. And while I well know the bridge from 15 miles to 20+ is vast, those longer runs felt so good I feel excited to train hard again and ready to tell Boston 2012 to bring it.

December was a relaxing month, and quite possibly the most I've ever enjoyed Christmas. I baked, I canned jam, I ran alone, I ran with friends, I read, I spent time with family, and between winter band concerts, holiday parties, and holiday shopping, I found time to relax.
All in preparation for what 2012 was going to bring, and seeing as I'm tired on Monday, January 2nd, it could be a long, long, road to July.

The plan is simple for January. Just get back into it all. I was on the indoor trainer for an hour this morning, and plan to do just that every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and for another 2 hours on Saturday or Sunday. If I gain nothing more than saddle stamina this month I'll feel as though it was successful. Swimming will happen the only time it can here in kudda janta khan - come hell or high water I will be in the Elk Lake pool each of the three days a week it is open this month. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday nights, you'll know where to find me. So scared am I of the swim and not being prepared that if I miss one of those three nights I'm vowing to make it up at Owego or Vestal on the weekend. And then run.

And run.

And run some more.

Ironman training plans always call for minimal (in my opinion) running. We'll see how long it takes for me to change my tune, but I don't want to have to sacrifice running mileage to train for this ironman. I'm sure I'm the one who's wrong, and I'd be best served to run less and bike and swim more, but running makes me happiest. And if you're unhappy, what's the point? With that - Happy 2012 everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment